Join me backstage on Week 1 of my journey to writing more effective scenes ...
Week 1 is going well 🙂
Using Savannah Gilbo's formula (for planning how many scenes should be in my story) is guiding my revision exactly how I was hoping it would.
I'm using the formula as a supportive tool rather than an obligatory rule since that works best for me. So far it has shown me exactly where my current novel outline is out of balance and by how much.
It showed me that all the Acts in my story have less scenes than they should, which explains why my manuscript always seems like it's missing something.
Also, knowing roughly how many scenes I should have in each Act has helped me realise that I don't need half of the ideas that I recently panic-brainstormed for Act 2 in an attempt to bulk out the story 😅
I'm now been able to reduce and refine, modify and manipulate these ideas into plotlines and subplots that will truly benefit my novel. This, in turn, seems to be lifting the block I've been experiencing for months 😍
My next steps will be to:
- Finish refining new scenes and ideas for Act 2
- Brainstorm ways to expand my scene counts for Acts 1, 3, and 4
Keep your eyes peeled for more news on my writing here and on my Instagram!


No comments:
Post a Comment