Peek behind the curtains and take a look at the behind the scenes of Sanctuary on Severn ...
Back when I was at university, when I first started writing Sanctuary on Severn, I rarely took my laptop to campus.
I had an hour-long bus journey each way, multiple lectures throughout the day, and would usually spend my free time between classes wandering around town with friends.
As small as my laptop was, carrying it everywhere quickly became a chore. By the end of the day, the strap of the laptop bag usually left my shoulder aching.
So, instead, I relied on notebooks.
They were lighter, easier to carry, didn't need a separate bag, and I didn't have to worry nearly as much about them being stolen (from a financial point of view).
Looking back, I think there was another reason they worked so well for me. Writing by hand reconnected me with the little girl in me who first fell in love with storytelling.
It felt slower ... more intentional ... perhaps even more creative somehow.
And there was one notebook in particular that became home to my dissertation work - the place where Sanctuary on Severn first began.
Inside it lives almost the entire origin story of my novel.
Everything is in there ...
A reminder of my dissertation requirements.
The original plans and notes, along with how they evolved throughout the drafting process.
Handwritten passages from the first manuscript, alongside rewritten sections from later edits.
Word count tracking and deadline countdowns.
Coloud-coded feedback from my dissertation submissions, ready for when I eventually expanded Sanctuary on Severn into a full novel.
Even the random doodles I drew during writing breaks while untangling ideas in my mind.
It's less of a notebook now and more of a time capsule.
When I open it, I don't just see notes. I see the beginning of a dream.
Ten years later, it's still sitting on my bookshelf. It's page are full and the spine is starting to come apart and yet ... it's still here.
In a way, I think that's why I love it so much.
It reminds me of myself. I've been through a lot over the last ten years too. I've picked up a few scars along the way, had moments where I wondered whether I'd ever finish this novel, and spent far longer on the journey than I ever expected.
But, just like that notebook, I'm still here. And Sanctuary on Severn is too.
We're both a little rough around the edges, but we're still going strong 😅
I mostly write on my laptop now but enjoy returning to pen and notebook every now and then. How about you? Do you prefer keyboard, pen to paper, typewriter, or some other media?
Comment below - I'd love to hear from you 🙂
Keep your eyes peeled for more news on my writing here and on my Instagram!









No comments:
Post a Comment