Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Scenes & Sensibility


Join me backstage at the beginning of Week 4 of my journey to writing more effective scenes ...   

Week 4 is just beginning, and my progress is still on a high ❤️

Lately, my writing life has been kind to me, and I think that's because I've been doing a better job of feeding my emotional needs. 

  • My husband and I have been going on long walks (with picnics!) when we have free time at the weekends🚶‍♀️
  • I've been hanging out online with my good writing friend, Aspen Mars 😊
  • I've been participating in write-alongs over on Rachel Giffin's online community ✍️
  • I've started reading for fun again 📖
  • And I've been kinder to myself during those moments when I'm too tired or overwhelmed to write or edit ❤️‍🩹

Don't you just hate it when your therapist is right? 😅

By the end of last week, I managed to edit the first half of Scene 1 of my novel. Diffierent scenes will take different amounts of times to edit, but this one needs a little extra attention right now since my first chapter will be submitted to a competition at the end of next month.

I also realised over the weekend that my novel has 4 Acts, and we have 4 months (September included) until the end of 2026. Completing one Act per month would be fantastic progress, and its a goal I have in mind. But I'm also trying to remain realistic, so we'll just have to see how things go for now 🙂

For this week, though, my next step is to:

  • Finish editing Scene 1 and evalutate its effectiveness

So, there you have it. Week 4 of my journey to writing more effective scenes is off to a great start✍️

What are you doing to fulfill your emotional needs? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to hear from you 🙂


P.S. - Like many people I have seen and/or spoken to online recently, marketing is not exactly my strongest suit 😂 

As we enter my favourite season of the year, I'm hoping to continue building up my client list for Wild Blackberry Editing (you can also find this on Instagram). So if you happen to know a writer of fantasy, speculative fiction, or historical fiction (pre-WW1) who's looking for an editor - or who would just like to have a chat with one - I'd be very grateful if you pointed them my way ❤️
 
No pressure, no hard sell ... just a slightly awkward editor quietly putting the word out there - thank you! 😅

Keep your eyes peeled for more news on my writing here and on my Instagram!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Scenes & Sensibility

Join me backstage at the beginning of Week 4 of my journey to writing more effective scenes ...